~ Gifted ~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome on Gifted. This message board is dedicated to the actor Shane Haboucha.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

PCs and Macs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sheva

Sheva

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2005-11-30

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyTue 13 Jun - 8:36

I've always insisted PCs are better, though i now want to get a MacBook. I'm gonna talk to my parents about it and see if I can get them to buy it for me Very Happy or at least half of it. So, anyhoo, anyone got any thoughts on Macs and PCs and if you think getting a MacBook would be better than using my desktop PC? It's downstairs in the study for everyone (mainly just me) to use, my sister has her own PC in her room! No internet though. I'm pretty sure my parents bought her that, i don't think she put anything towards it, and here I am offering to pay for half for a MacBook, though i haven't told my parents that... if they want to believe they should buy the whole thing, then who am I to stop them?
Back to top Go down
Living_Dead_Boy

Living_Dead_Boy

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2005-12-25

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyThu 15 Jun - 19:37

I want a pony!
Back to top Go down
Sheva

Sheva

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyFri 16 Jun - 4:22

Ponies frighten me.... computers are much nicer. They don't bite as much.

My sis got the PC for her 21st. I was mistaken. But still, I should get a MacBook for free Very Happy cos I'm ace.

I'm have to get one, I don't care what my dad says. Unless he says no...
Back to top Go down
Living_Dead_Boy

Living_Dead_Boy

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2005-12-25

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyFri 16 Jun - 20:27

Wink Sarah, I think you might be what we call in the states "high maintenance" I love you
Back to top Go down
Sheva

Sheva

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptySat 17 Jun - 12:21

No! I'm just a nerd! I need nerd tools to continue my nerd plan!

All the other nerds want one!
Back to top Go down
DJay

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2006-06-30

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptySat 1 Jul - 16:57

This can really depend on what you do with your computer. Everyone has a different preference because everyone has different plans.

Mac
Industry standard for audio/video post production, best for designers and the speedgreedy. I use an iMac G5 17" w/o iSight and i've never looked back. The OS is a lot more stable than Windows. I've only had to restart it twice in the 6 months that I've had it (excluding restarts to install updates). The GUI is much easier to use and definite eyecandy. Roughly 96% of external devices will work on a Mac without the need to download drivers.

PC
Good for developers, have more applications than a Mac. Crash offen when running high performance applications such as Pro Tools, Premiere Pro etc. roughly 25% of external devices will work with a PC without the need to download drivers.

Just a note for if you a buy a MacBook, I suggest you wait another month or two as MacBook owners have been complaining of grey/pink/brown stains where their palms usually sit on the keyboard. you can take a look at some photos of the defect by going here. This defect is, however, only on the white MacBooks and not the black ones.
Back to top Go down
Sheva

Sheva

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptySun 2 Jul - 8:27

Wow. You're nerdier than me Very Happy

Oh crap, I want a white one (the black ones are more expensive cos they have more space, how unfair.). What do I do? What do I do?

Thanks for the info on this, I wasn't aware of this problem. What kind of a nerd am I?

I do a lot of design work (if you can call it that. lol.) and wish to as a future career too, that's why I'm opting for a Mac, I'll still keep my PC of course, for games and an internet connection.

I could just get a black one... if I explain the problem to dad... we'll see what he says. He's back on tuesday.
Back to top Go down
DJay

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyMon 3 Jul - 0:50

I'm not a nerd, per say. I'm more of a design geek/mac enthusiast. It shouldn't be long before Apple begin shipping MacBooks with better plastics to fix the problem so don't worry too much about it. As for the Black MacBooks, I wouldn't spend more money on a laptop because of its color (the white specs can be upgraded to that of the black one I believe, if ordered off the apple website I believe).

You should see my mac memorabllia. I have 2 apple posters, 20 stickers, a retro jacket with the Apple logo hand sewn onto it (ONLY 50 EXIST!), 2 Apple lle's and a 1st generation iPod. My Apple lle controls all the power sockets in my room cos I found a card that can be used to do that - it takes 3 disk drives to run the program though.

As for up-speccing, I've found it cheaper to go for a lower end model then have it modified by a qualified store - I've had my iMac modified to have a touch screen and i've installed a lot more RAM.
Back to top Go down
Sheva

Sheva

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyMon 3 Jul - 5:46

So you're just a Mac nerd? Nerds are ace! I'm not really too much of a nerd myself, I'm sort of a nerd wannabe.

I have a video iPod! I got that when it first came out, for my birthday. Though I also got a TV and DVD player for my birthday. But it was my 18th, so therefore I should get lots of presents.

But see the thing is, I'm really impatient, and can't really wait a couple of months, I want it now! I always want stuff like right now and I usually get it, I am what some may call a spoilt brat (incase you hadn't already guessed). But I'm proud of that. Cos I get what I want Very Happy

But AppleCare have been replacing them for people if they go crap, that's a good sign.

Tha black ones are kinda wrong anyway, they're not proper Macs.
Back to top Go down
DJay

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyMon 3 Jul - 17:31

The Blackbooks aren't necessarily "not macs," as Apple are trying to expand their line of creativity. Although AppleCare are replacing some models - this is not the case in all places, as some AppleCare offices haven't recieved bulletins of the known issue and won't know what to do - which generally leads them to saying the user is at fault. If I were you, I'd wait.
Back to top Go down
Sheva

Sheva

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyTue 4 Jul - 3:03

Damn...
Back to top Go down
DJay

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyWed 5 Jul - 4:28

Yeah I know, waiting sucks Sad. But my iPod U2 G2 arrived very promptly, so you won't be waiting very long for shipping.
Back to top Go down
Sheva

Sheva

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyWed 5 Jul - 10:28

My Dad would probably go into John Lewis to buy it. So I'd get it right away anyway. But he's only back for a couple of weeks so that does not leave much of a window Sad
Back to top Go down
Sheva

Sheva

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptySun 16 Jul - 14:54

Well, if I'm gonna get one it'll be on tuesday. Dad doesn't seem to be too keen on a black one cos he wants to spend less, then he's taking back to Abu Dhabi next tuesday so he can get the VAT back so then I won't have till the end of August.

Well... wish me luck... if anyone reads this...
Back to top Go down
DJay

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyTue 18 Jul - 3:35

Good luck! i love shopping Smile, I wish I was there. I'm hoping for the MacPro's to get released sometime before the 4th quarter so I can get one this year Smile It will be my biggest computer purchase yet. I'm really looking forward to getting it!
Back to top Go down
Sheva

Sheva

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyThu 20 Jul - 15:14

I got it!!!!!!!!! But dad's taking it away on saturday Sad and I won't get it back till September now.

Good luck to you too. Getting the cooler one... *is jealous*
Back to top Go down
DJay

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyTue 25 Jul - 5:19

Buying the MacPro is going to break my savings (fun fun). So if I lose my job i'm a little skuzzed.
Back to top Go down
Marcellus_Wallace

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2006-03-22

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyTue 5 Sep - 15:46

Savings? I am getting a custom built computer next month.. putting pretty much a ton of money into jazzing it up completely, better than this lump of... whatever.. basically, I have had to restart this almost 4 times in the past 3 months -_- Windows is exploitable also, and noone can be bothered writing viruses for the macs because the OS is virtually unable to crack and noone can be bothered taking that much time to figure it out for say, a good few million less users than windows.. maybe even more.. and they use arch processors too Razz
Back to top Go down
Prometheus

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2006-09-02

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs EmptyTue 5 Sep - 15:56

Well the thing is Macs provide more security, with a more user friendly interface for a much steeper price in comparison to a PC Also there are Mac viruses/trojans out there and may have to do with the percentage of users, more go to the Mac, more corrupt stuff.

PCs provide more upgradability, and more freedom for a cheaper price. They however have many more security holes now, with Vista coming out that should change since it's basically the Mac OS. You're also more free to do whatever you want.

If you know a lot about computers go with a PC, if you don't like to be hassled by the complications that arise then go with a mac.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4942162778167603560&q=Apple+Switch+Parody&hl=en

(funny spoof on the old mac commercials that kinda show a little of both sides both more PC biased with info, but in the end the guy loves his mac, also there os a swear in there I think for those who are sensitive).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PCs and Macs Empty
PostSubject: Re: PCs and Macs   PCs and Macs Empty

Back to top Go down

PCs and Macs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~ Gifted ~ :: Community :: Off Topic-
Jump to: